KumanovoKumanovo derives from the name of the Cumans, a western branch of Kipchaks, the tribe that invaded the area in the early 12th century.
KKumanovo is an important economic, trading and cultural center in the northern part of Macedonia. The town’s prosperity rests upon the metal-processing, tobacco, footwear and textile industries, as well as agriculture. 135,529 people live in Kumanovo (1991), which covers 1,212 sq. km.
The Church of St. George at the Monastery of Staro Nagoricane is the best known cultural and historical monument in the Kumanovo’s vicinity. The Church was built in the 11th century and was reconstructed in the l4th. During its reconstruction, the fresco-painters Mihailo and Evtihij painted its walls with frescoes of exceptional artistic value.
The town has an outstanding revolutionary tradition. Together with Prilep, it was in Kumanovo that on October 11,1941, the anti-fascist insurrection of the Macedonian people and its struggle for national and social liberation began. The Kumanovo Spa medical springs are situated in the immediate vicinity of the town.